Tuesday, January 18, 2011

From the Email Inbox: World's Largest Wren Image Request

On the 'Worlds Largest Things' page there is a mention of a picture I would love to see.

Quote from page- "The A 1942 photo of the old WREN building in Lawrence KS (that's where the station started) shows two baby wrens flanking the doors." Is there anyway I could see that photo. I can not find a link to the picture. I live in Lawrence, Kansas and I remember the building and the wrens.

Thank You, C.G.


Hello, C.G. -
Attached is one of the few images I have of the building - it's a scan of a photocopy, with the original residing at the Topeka Shawnee County Public Library. I believe the page I have is from their Kansas collection, from a flat file. Sorry there's not more out there, but I haven't yet combed through the Lawrence public library or historical society archives yet - hoping there will be some better info there too.

Photos c. 1946 or 1947, WREN Studios at 8th and Vermont - ony radio station in USA witha private swimming pool (it was a YMCA building before) - info written on back of image copy, either by the librarian or by the person who donated the images to the library.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your inquiry!
-Erika Nelson, Director

No comments: