Sunday, January 13, 2008

From the Email Inbox: World's Largest Penny

From: MS

I want to thank you for your website.

Almost 30 years ago, my first wife and I stumbled upon the World's Largest Penny during a driving trip on our honeymoon. If I remember it correctly, it stood in or near the playground of an elementary school, and I imagined it as perhaps a school project from long-ago. It struck me as a combination of kitch and something deeper and more heartwarming...a reaching for greatness in a tiny, unknown and unsung Northern Wisconsin town.

I never knew the real story until I read it on your site. It does indeed make my eyes mist up. Somewhere I still have a picture my wife and I took of us goofing in front of the penny....just a couple of kids from Wisconsin having fun.

Best, MS, Franklin Films

No comments: